From June 2015-June 2016 Saskatoon had:
· 1136 residential B&E
· 825 commercial B&E
· 356 other B&E
For a total of: 2317 Break & Enters
In 2013 Saskatoon’s crime rate ranked second to Regina when it comes to crime in Canada. CBC reports that Saskatchewan had the highest CSI among the provinces, as well as the highest youth crime severity index. Weighill said that poverty and marginalization are the major drivers of crime.
In 2014 the Saskatoon crime rate rose by 3% beating Regina for the highest crime rate in Canada. Rob Macdonald reports in the video that the increase was driven largely by a large increase in break and enters.
In 2015 Police were encouraging businesses to consider extra security measures such as burglar alarms, lights, and private security guards after thieves stole 30 snowblowers from a north-end business. That same month two men robbed a west side restaurant at gunpoint.
In 2016 neighbors were on edge after break-ins in the Forest Grove area of Saskatoon.
10 ways to reduce residential B&E’s
1. Do not post on social media when you will be away
2. Double check that the overhead and man-doors of garages are securely locked
3. Use a light module to control lights to make it look like you are home even when you are not
4. Have someone empty your mailbox
5. Have your lawn cut or snow removed if you are going to be away a long time
6. Ask a neighbor to feel free to fill up your trash can and move it out to the curb on trash day
7. Never leave doors or windows unlocked
8. Never hide a key outside where it can be easily found
9. Get a good deadbolt lock or consider a smart lock
10. Get a monitored security system to reduce the chance of theft