1. Dragon tails, spider webs and fire don’t mix. Be very careful with candles and open fireplaces. Keep candle lit jack-o-lanterns away from curtains and other flammables.
2. Pumpkin carving is a ton of fun. Stay safe by having the children draw a face or design and let the adults carve the pumpkin. When it comes time to light up the jack-o-lantern, consider a battery candle.
3. Keep fire hazards such as candles, matches, and lighters in childproof locations.
4. Check indoor and outdoor decorative lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed wires or loose connections. Be careful not to overload extension cords.
5. When choosing decorating lights, look for lights that are certified by a recognized organization such as the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or the Underwriters’ Laboratory of Canada (ULC).
6. Keep your walkway and doorstep clear and well-lit for trick-or-treaters. Remember they might have long costumes or masks they can barely see through.
Want to spook some of the neighborhood kids before they knock on your door? Get our free doorbell camera promo and have some real fun this Halloween!